Sunday, May 24, 2009

the Gathering



I started a whole new way of working that lasted for about two years with this piece entitled the gathering which I completed in 2003. I had already been painting at the time but I mostly drew with ball point pens and ink pens before this major shift in my work. With the gathering I started to collect large quantities of my little drawings and developed environments for them. I would cut them out and make mixed media assemblages. Sometimes I would draw right on the paper as well as collage figures down. This piece is 23"w x 18"h.

The Gathering was made on a piece of paper which I then adhered to a piece of wood which is painted black. This piece is very psychological, the figure in the center is me and I am sitting in a room with no furniture surrounded by my creations, strange dark figures that they are.
It is very difficult for me to get a good shot of this piece so sorry it's not higher quality.

No comments:

Post a Comment